I’ve recently discovered a new favourite dish – pulled pork. I don’t know why I didn’t make it sooner. Chuck it in the oven on low for 5-6 hours and low and behold, you have a tasty dish that took minimal effort but can feed a lot of people.
Initially I tried a few different recipes but none of them taste quite right until I tried this Slimming World recipe. I tweaked it slightly and cooked it in the oven as we don’t have a slow cooker and well… all I can say is – why have I waited so long to make and enjoy this wonderful cut of meat?
I tend to get my pork shoulder from Aldi, it’s about £3 - £4 for 1.5kg and we get a lot of meat from that. It gives us a generous helping at dinner, enough for lunch the next day and my new discovery – turning the remaining into cottage pie (post to be shared later this week).
You can serve the pulled pork with your choice of sides. I prefer to whip up some egg fried rice that I pack full of veggies – peppers, onions, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, courgette, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Whatever veg is in the fridge I add it to the rice cos I’ll be honest here – I’m not a big veg fan and often push it around the plate so I find this is a great way to up my intake (yes, I know, this makes me sound like I’m a child).
BBQ Pulled Pork
1.5kg pork shoulder
5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp mustard powder
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Sprinkling of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 140C (fan)
- Pop all the ingredients in a casserole dish, season well, stir to combine and place the pork shoulder in the dish taking care to cover the meat in the sauce.
- Cover the dish and place in the oven for 5-6 hours.
- Once cooked remove the fat and shred with 2 forks.
- Stir into the sauce remaining in the bottom of the dish.
- Serve with a side of your choice.