I’ve suddenly reached that age. Meals out with friends are becoming rarer, babysitters are hard to find and instead we have started going to each other’s houses for tea. Now I don’t have kids yet but each year another one of my friend’s announces they are pregnant and the dynamic of our social get-togethers changes.
A prime example of this was a few weeks ago. Myself and Mr T were supposed to go out with some good friends of ours but at the last minute they couldn’t get a babysitter so they invited us round to theirs for tea instead. I offered to make some pulled pork while they provided the chips, nachos, dips and other bits and pieces. As always a request was put in for me to provide dessert. People don’t beat about the bush any more, they come straight out and ask me to bring dessert which I am always pleased to do.
I was undecided on what to make then I remembered the Crème Brulee kit that Sainsburys had sent me out to review. It serves 4 and I had been debating when to make it knowing myself and Mr T would end up scoffing two portions each if we didn’t have someone to share it with.
As always I wanted to add a bit more flavour to it so decided to jazz it up a bit with some orange zest and a side of chocolate sauce, cos let’s face it – who doesn’t like proper chocolate sauce? I’m not talking about that squeezy stuff in the tube, I mean the mixing of chocolate and cream to create something you just want to stick your face in!
Anyway – crème brulee! This kit is ace! Just like the marshmallow and panna cotta kits that I have reviewed in the past this is a great little set up for those of us who want to create a dessert that impresses but involves very little effort. The addition of orange zest gave it a lovely kick and everyone said it was really good considering it came from a box kit. All four bowls were empty so I’m taking it as a good sign!
Orange Crème Brulee with Chocolate Sauce
1 x box Sainsbury’s Crème Brulee Kit
250ml double cream
Zest of 2 oranges
100ml double cream
50g milk chocolate
50g dark chocolate
- Make up the crème brulee according to the packet instructions.
- Before pouring into the dishes whisk in the orange zest.
- Cover in cling film and place in the fridge for a few hours.
- To make the chocolate sauce gently warm the cream and stir in the chocolate until melted.
- Set aside to cool and firm up. For a softer sauce place leave on the counter, for a firmer sauce place in the fridge.
- Once the crème brulee has set, sprinkle over the sugar (comes with the kit) and place under a hot grill until golden and gently bubbling.
- Serve with a spoonful of chocolate sauce.
|Taking a bite purely for testing and photographing purposes!|
Thanks again Sainsburys for sending me out another fab kit. They are ace!
***Products sent for review, all thoughts are my own.***