I actually think I enjoy Easter more than Christmas. It’s a lot less stressful, there are still copious amounts of chocolate about and the sun generally tends to shine.
For me it represents the start of happier times: longer days, more time spent outside and as simple as it sounds; having the back door open filling the house full of fresh air with the smell of freshly mown grass drifting through.
Another bonus of Easter is mini eggs! I adore them and it’s far too easy to demolish a bag in one sitting. I am convinced though that there is a gremlin in the bag as they seem to disappear a lot more quickly than I am eating them!
When I spotted some mini mini eggs in Tesco I knew they would be ideal for making some Easter Rocky Road. I brought these along to a friend’s house party which went down very well indeed! It’s just one of those bakes (can you even call it a bake?) that takes very little prep, pop it in the fridge for a few hours and voila – a yummy treat with minimal effort. It’s also a great thing to make if you have some mini helpers wanting to lend a hand in the kitchen.
I’ve adapted this recipe of mine but it’s so flexible you can easily chop and change some ingredients around to suit your palette.
Easter Rocky Road
125g soft unsalted butter
150g milk chocolate
150g dark chocolate
3 tbsp golden syrup
100g ginger nuts
1 x bag mini eggs
100g mini marshmallows
1 x bag mini crème eggs
200g white chocolate
1 x bag mini mini eggs
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and chocolate in a pan on a low heat. Make sure the butter goes in first to stop the chocolate burning and possible splitting.
- Pop the ginger nuts in a bag and bash with a rolling pin to break it into little pieces.
- Once the chocolate mixture is melted and combined the bashed up biscuit, mini eggs and the marshmallows.
- Mix all together and tip into a lined square/rectangular baking dish.
- Cut the mini crème eggs in half and press into the mixture.
- Pop in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
- Melt the white chocolate and pour over the set rocky road.
- Scatter over the mini mini eggs and place back in the fridge for another hour.
- Once set cut up into pieces and enjoy!