Panna Cotta… it’s one of those desserts that rolls of the tongue. One that sounds luxurious, indulgent and something that I imagined being served at a posh dinner party.
It’s a dessert that I’ve always been fearful of making so when Sainsburys approached me and asked me to try out their new Panna Cotta kit I was very intrigued. Usually I can’t stand box kits but I’m coming round to the idea of some of them. There are certain kits I can’t get my head round when it’s just as simple to make from scratch but others are really good for trying something a bit more complicated.
I tried the Sainsburys marshmallow kit before Christmas and I was totally sold on that. I was hoping the Panna Cotta would be to a similar standard and it did not disappoint. It was easy to follow and the result was a shiny (oh so shiny!) and wobbly dessert that just melted in the mouth.
I wanted to jazz it up slightly by adding white chocolate and a blueberry coulis. I used frozen blueberries as I'm also taking part in Sainsburys freezer challenge (more on that later in the week) and I was so pleased with the result. So much so it’s given me the confidence to try making the Panna Cotta from scratch. At least if all else fails I know the box kit is there to fall back on.
Mr T isn’t keen on these sorts of desserts and he really liked it too – win!
White Chocolate and Blueberry Panna Cotta
1 x Sainsburys Panna Cotta box mix
100g white chocolate
100g frozen blueberries
2 tbsp sugar
- Make up the Panna Cotta according to the box instructions.
- Leave to set in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in 20 second bursts taking care it doesn’t burn.
- Pour the white chocolate over the top of the Panna Cotta and return to the fridge for a further hour.
- To make the coulis put the bluberries and sugar in a pan.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 mins, add more sugar if the coulis isn’t sweet enough.
- Give the Panna Cotta a good shake and it should come straight out of the mould.
- Pour over the coulis and sprinkle over some crushed meringue.
|You can just see the white chocolate base|
Thanks Sainsburys for sending out this kit, it really is ace!
***Product sent for review but all thoughts are my own***